The fortified city called Fatehpur Sikri is a beautiful place in Uttar Pradesh. It was established in 1569 by the Mughal dynasty Akbar. The palace city is situated on a rocky ridge, bordered by walls on its three sides and a pond in the forefront, was planned by Tuhir Das using Indian values of art.
The buildings in the town have been planned following the method of Islamic, Hindu and Jain architecture, applying red sandstone, which is called “Sikri Sandstone”. You can come into the city through a number of gates that are erect at different points along the wall bordering the fort.
The gates are known as - Chandanpal Gate, Agra Gate, Tehra Gate, Lal Gate, Delhi Gate, Birbal Gate, Gwalior Gate, Ajmere Gate.
A complex often holds a public meeting and was one of the most necessary constructions of palaces of the oldest times. It was known Diwan – I – Aam. In the compound of Fatehpur Sikri, it is a multi-bayed building in rectangular form.
A compound of private viewers is the royal exhibition area where the royal members brought together and discussed personal as well as business affairs. Built in Persian structural design decoration, it is a tactful structure in square form with four chhatris on the peak.
As per name, it is a great five storey’s palace that served as an abode of the noble ladies. The top of the structure is a big – sized dome formed chhatri, with every level down, the size of the tier increases. Completely 176 fixed columns are supporting the bases.
The tomb of Salim Chishti is located in the patio of the mosque. The important of Chisti is available under a decked cover made up of wood in a hall at the point of the single-storied structure. On the external part, there is a way with intimidated latticework and frames having complicated geometric forms and shapes.
The masjid is a wonderful mosque, which was one of the first structures that were built at the historic site. The mosque was made in 1575 by Sheikh Salim Chishti. Earlier, the late Hazrat Shah Muhammad Mazhar Ullah presented as the Imam of the Mosque, but currently his son Maulvi Mukarram Ahmad is taking care of the building.
The impressive Buland Darwaza at Fatehpur Sikri is 55 m in altitude. Built in AD 1601, the gate was built as a 'victory arch'. It was established to spot the achievement of Akbar over Gujarat. In its curves, it stands messages - The earth is like a bridge, go through it, but made no homes on it.
Ibadat means -Worship and Khana means – House. The house of the worship was established by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1575. This part was added in the town to grasp religious crowds and debate among the spiritual leaders. The bases of Din-e-Ilahi were built by Akbar here. Though, the structure was destroyed long back.
It is a red sandstone tank situated close to the Khawabagh compound in the palace at Fatehpur Sikri. In the center of the tank, there is a hoisted stage which can be achieved after passing small walkways.
It is a chamber that boasts the guests meeting Akbar. Though, some of the old people tell us that it was a room of the emperor's study. Though, the building has some important architectural characteristics, containing flowery and arithmetical carvings on dado boards, brackets, wall paintings and pieces. The carvings on per inch of the structure stand for some.
It is also called as Naqqar Khana that represents a drum house. It is situated close to the Elephant or Hathi Pol Gate, from where the decent men visit the compound. It was a place for the musicians to strike drums to spot the entrance of the Emperor.